This is somewhat of a continuation of my previous post on products that I’ve loved that I haven’t found a comparable lower priced item to. This post is all about the products that have a cult following, that actually HAVE lower end comparables, that I have personally used and loved. I haven’t used all of the higher end products, but I have tested them on several occasions that I feel I have a good idea of how well they work for me, anyway.
Eyeshadows – This is a biggie. I am torn on this one, because I’m in love with MAC’s Mineralized Eyeshadows, but I feel that there are many eyeshadows out there that are just as good, or even better than MAC and other Higher End shadows for a lower price:
- Ben Nye Eyeshadows – These range from about $6-10, and are available from costume shops, and speciality online stores. These are almost twice as big as MAC and Urban Decay shadows, and are pigmented like no one’s business. I use my Ben Nye shadows more than my more expensive ones.
- Wet N Wild Ultimate Expressions Palettes. These palettes have 8 huge colors, and are extremely pigmented. I own 6 of these palettes, both permanent and limited edition. The eyeshadows are soft and extremely blendable. These palettes have mostly neutral colors that are wonderful!
- NYX Shadows – NYX has many different types of shadows, and the vast majority of them are wonderful, they are pigmented, and dirt cheap. The price of these range from $1-6, depending on what you pick up. I’ve tried them all, and I have loved almost all of them.
- L’Oreal HiP Eyeshadows Duos – These are simply some of the best drugstore eyeshadows that you will easily find in the drugstore. Each duo has two cordinating colors that are simply amazing, and some can be considered as dupes to higher end colors. These often go on sale BOGO Free, so it’s well worth your time to pick some up. You can easily get four huge, pigmented colors for the same price as one MAC shadow during a BOGO Free sale.
- L’Oreal Wear Infinite Singles – I recently tried my first eyeshadow from L’Oreal – apart from the HiP line, and I was flabbergasted when I used it. It is extremely soft and pigmented, and it blended like dream on my skin. I am looking forward to trying more in the future. I haven’t tried the quads though. So those maybe different.
- Milani – Milani makes some amazing eyeshadows. The ones that are very comparable to MAC and other brands were their little regular singles. These were amazing smooth and more pigmented than you can imagine. Unfortunatley Milani decided to get rid of these, but they are still available in some places. I’ve seen them in select Walgreens. These cost around $3-4 and were totally worth the money. Another good choice from Milani are the quads, they for about $6-7 and have four huge colors with tons of pigment and are really soft. These are available everywhere.
- TKB Trading Pigments – These are pure pigments of color, that you buy from TKB Trading for $1.50 per sample. Samples are a full table spoon of pigment – this is about the same amount of product that you get in a full sized MAC jar filled. These are definitely worth your time to check out for cheap, but not cheap quality pigments.
So far, these are the shadows I’ve used that are comparable to higher end products. These may not be as smooth as higher end shadows, or they may be slightly more sheer, but the money that you save is worth it. I feel that the price difference and more than decent quality makes these shadows the better choice than the higher end ones.
While I was taking my shower this evening, I was shocked to realize just how many products I have sitting in shower and on my sink. So I thought I would share what I have with all of you!
In my shower:
- SunSilk Waves of Envy Shampoo and Conditioner: I’ve already done a review on the duo, which you can find under the review category.
- Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Shampoo and Conditioner: This smells like lavender! I have yet to actually write a review on this product, but it is on the ever growing list. I use this product once a week or so, when I want to take a break from my SunSilk. I don’t use this too much because it has a tendency to make my hair a little bit dry. But I think that is what helps with the curling aspect of this product.
- Aussie Opposites Attract Protect and Soften: I just acquired this duo yesterday for about $1.33 at CVS. I got this when CVS had it on sale for $2.49 a bottle, and then you received $1 back as an Extra Buck per bottle you bought. I also had an Aussie coupon that was $2 off if you bought two products. So I purchased this for about $3.33 out of pocket and received $2 back in Extra Bucks. I am going to try this combo for a while and eventually write a review on my experiences.
- Sunsilk Anti-Esponja (Anti-Spongy) 24/7 Creme: This is another new purchase that I recently picked up. I normally have frizzy and dry hair, thanks to 2 1/2 years of highlighting it blonde. So I’ve been on the look out for something that would take some of the frizziness out of my hair and make it nice and smooth. Since I live in North East Florida, I am constantly dealing with frizziness from the humidity and heat. I have yet to try this product, but I’m looking forward to using it.
- Pantene Pro V Fortifying Fortifier: This is my current go to for a deep conditioning treatment right now. I even bought a back up of this product soon after my first bottle. I use this once or twice a week to deep condition my hair and to make it softer. I apply a generous amount of this product to my hair and leave it in there while I shave my legs. Then as I rinse it out, I can feel my hair becoming softer. I plan on writing a review of this product within a couple of days.
- Avon Crystal Aura Body Wash: I’ve actually owned this body for about a year and I came across it when I was going through my Bath & Body Works shower gels and creamy body washes. So I thought to throw it into my shower and use it to shave my legs.
- Jason Natural Rosewater Satin Body Wash: I picked this up with the Lavender version when it was buy one get one free at a local health good store. I basically use this very day, to shave my legs and to wash my body. This works quite well as a shave gel.
- Soft Soap Radiant Spa Moisture Wrap and Exfoliating Body Washes: I purchased both of these products on a whim and I’m very glad that I did. These body washes smell amazingly good and I have been using these almost exclusively as my body washes for the past few weeks. I love these a lot and the Moisture Wrap is very creamy while the Exfoliating is gentle on the skin and makes arms and legs feel really soft and smooth.
Believe it or not, but I actually every product that I have in my shower right now. I love the idea of having several options to choose from, and I feel that by rotating my shampoos and conditioners I can keep my hair from becoming used to one certain brand.
If you noticed, everything I have in my shower is a product from the drugstore. I have used both salon products and drugstore products and I actually prefer the drugstore brands. My hair feels wonderfully soft and cared for, and I didn’t have to spend an arm and a leg to make it feel that way.
Be on the lookout for what I have sitting on my sink, which rivals the collection of products I have in my shower!
I was hanging out at my favorite store, Target and I came across a new line of body washes from SoftSoap, a company that is well known for it’s hand soaps. The new line is called Spa Radiant and it consists of three different types of body washes; purifying, exfoliating and moisturizing.
Purfiying: Give dull, tired skin a pick-me-up with this purfying experience. Enriched with aromatic botanicals our formula works with the steam from your shower to help you feel more revitalized.
Exfoliating: Reveal a more radiant you with this daily exfoliating experience. Enriched with mineral sea salts this daily exfoliating formula gently removes dull skin. Step out of each show with that after-spa glow
Moisture Wrap: For a daily quenching experience, reach for this ultra creamy moisture wrap formula. Our formula, enriched with essential oil works with the steam of your shower to soften and nourish even the driest of skin.
I personally own and LOVE Exfoliating and Moisture Wrap, and I have already bought huge back ups of both versions. I have yet to try the Purfying version, but I am thinking it is going to be as awesome as the other two. I plan on doing reviews the body washes soon.
So while you guys wait for my reviews, check out these body washes available basically anywhere. If you head to target, you can print out this TARGET COUPON for $1 off any Spa Radiant product. You can print out more than one and buy more than one bottle of this stuff.
I am a lipgloss ho’ I cannot leave the house without having at least 4 different types of lipgloss in my purse. Recently, instead of carrying around Sally Hansen and NYX lipglosses, I have been carrying L’Oreal’s Infallible lipglosses. These glosses are long lasting glosses that come in about 16 different colors. The colors range from sheer and very shimmery to opaque and with very little shimmer.
The colors are broken up into four different groups, pinks, nudes, reds and mauves. There are four colors in each group, so there is something for everyone! The colors I own right now are, raisin, fiery, dulche de leche, modern mauve, blush, and rebel red. I plan on doing individual reviews of each color, because I feel that each gloss looks and feels differently from the others, so it would be unfair to do an umbrella review of all of them.
You can check these glosses out at any store that sells L’Oreal, and I believe that CVS has them on sale, Buy One Get One Free this week. So definitely check these out the next time to head out!
While browsing Walgreens recently, I have come across A relatively new bath and body line called Details. This is a full bath and body line, that includes:
Hand & Body Lotion
Anti Bacterial Hand Gel
This collection comes in six different scents, all of them quite yummie and very rich:
- Slice of Life - Tangy citrus infused with skin-loving antioxidants
- Summer Shower – A hydrating blend of sweet pea, freesia, and wildflowers
- Tropical Garden – Sensuous Tahitian vanilla helps replenish skin
- Sweet Surrender – Tread yourself to fresh pomegranate and plumeria
- Island Cottage – Enrich your skin with blooming gardenias
- Country Meadows - A moisturizing bouquet of lavender and mountain lilies
Admittedly, this line is quite smaller than Bodycology (another recent drugstore B&B line) in terms of offerings and scents, but it is definitely worth looking into if you want a cheaper, but still wonderful alternative to Bath & Body Works.
Details B&B is sold exclusively through Walgreens and Walgreens.Com. Everything in the collection is either $5.99 or 2/$10. Right now through the end of June, there is a $1 off coupon of 2 products at the beauty counter at Walgreens.
So grab yourself a coupon and enjoy some new B&B goodies!